STAR and the National College Creative Industries have developed a new apprenticeship for the ticketing industry.

With support from the National College Creative Industries, ticketing employers can now recruit apprentices to assist with the delivery of high quality ticketing and customer service.

The ticketing industry is evolving rapidly as new technologies are developed and adopted. Ticketing employers need trained and qualified people to ensure that they are able to benefit fully from the use of these technologies and provide first class service to all customers and clients.

It has been a long-held ambition of STAR to initiate a training programme in the sector, having established support for this within the industry, including from a number of key employers.

Will Quekett, a member of the STAR Council who has led the work on establishing ticketing apprenticeships said, “I am so pleased we have finally reached this point. The ticketing industry will really benefit from these apprenticeship opportunities, as will the young people that receive training.”

Steve Haworth, Head of Sales and Ticketing for the Royal Shakespeare Company said, “STAR has recognised the need for structured training for young people working in ticketing by informing and supporting the development of a nationwide apprenticeship. While most of us found ourselves working in ticketing rather than making a conscious choice, this apprenticeship and qualification helps identify to young people that ticketing can be a real career choice. STAR’s determination to lead and drive this on behalf of the industry is inspiring.”

Employers will be responsible for paying the apprentices and the “on the job” training they will receive. Industry experts will assess apprentices throughout their time on the programme as they work towards their qualification: Customer Service Practitioner – Ticketing.

The “off the job” training will be delivered by the National College Creative Industries through workshops at a venue close to the apprentice’s workplace. David Pitcher, Principal at the College said, “National College aims to increase social mobility and engage industry experts like STAR directly with trainees, with bespoke fast tracks to great training, both at college and at work. Critically, our training ensures improved career prospects and specialist training not well served or accessible in the UK. We can only be successful if we work with industry partners like STAR, in regional clusters with great job opportunities, to build training programmes.”

Employers can start taking on apprentices now and the National College Creative Industries can help with the search, including advice on advertising and recruitment. The cost for training an apprentice is £4,000 to levy-paying employers. Only 10% of this cost is payable by non-levy-paying employers, with the remaining 90% funded by the Education Skills Funding Agency.

Source: STAR press release, 6 March 2018 

More news


James Bay returns with paperless entry intimate gig and UK tour

James Bay released the luscious ballad Wild Love on Virgin (Universal Music) this first new song since his 2015 double platinum selling debut Chaos and the Calm.


Elton John announces Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour in conjunction with Ticketmaster Verified Fan

These dates mark Elton’s last-ever tour, the end of half a century on the road for one of pop culture’s most enduring performers.